1) What are you trying to accomplish? It's as if you forgot to make note
of why you're doing any of this to begin with.

2) -g is gain. Typically you don't touch this. If you play electric guitar
or do sound mixing of some sort, you'll know what this is.

3) -f is scale factor. Not sure of the logic behind this.

4) See #1.

-Statux

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, David wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was experimenting with playing mp3s using mpg123. I read the man page for
> mpg123 and saw that the -g option seems to be the one to adjust playback
> level. However, although I tried specifying different values with the -g
> option, I don't get any difference in the playback level. (I tried values
> from 5 to 10000). I found that using the -f option seems to be able to do
> the trick but I don't feel that it is the correct way to do things since I
> started to hear some 'clippings'. What then is the correct way or method?
> Thanks.
>
> David

-Statux