* On 16-01-02 at 23:08
* Brian Ashe said....

> Nick,
>
> On Wednesday 16 January 2002 04:41, you said something about:
> <snip>
> > So what file controls all of the programs that run as soon as kde fires
> > up?
>
> Different programs are started from different places.
>
> Things like the artsd (KDE's sound server) are started by KDE.
> Some things may start from a saved session (when you log out and leave
> programs running it will save what those were and what they were last doing
> if they are session-enabled)
> Some things can be started using the Autostart directory
> Some things can start in the global kdmrc file
> Some are panel applets that are controlled by configuring the panel
> etc...
>
> Now that list may be incomplete but those are KDE specific. There is also the
> ability to start things with various X facilities like...
> /etc/X11/Xsession
> /etc/X11/Xresources
> ~/.Xresources
> etc...
>
> So it is really up to your needs as to what you want to start/stop and when
> and where in the process of startup they need to. And none of that includes
> what can be done with the .profile and .bashrc as well.

Yes, thanks very much, the reason I ask is that I recently had a
nightmare trying to work out why kmail was starting up everytime I
logged on and eventually ended up removing the kmail binary!

Not an ideal solution.

In light of what you've said it was probably a saved session.

Cheers
- --

Nick Wilson

Tel:    +45 3325 0688