Thanks!  I wasn't sure if I could just remove the whole thing file or
not.  Since the xterms don't even have floppy drives, it's silly for
them all to be monitoring the CD drive on the server :-)

Brian Ashe wrote:

> Nick,
>
> On Wednesday 16 January 2002 04:07, you said something about:
> > > All you have to do is delete (or move) the
> > > ~/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop file.
> >
> > To achieve what? I think you're on the wrong track Janyne asked.....
>
> Nope.

> Configuring it would be silly. It is basically just the execution of a
> command. It is the equivilent of the "Startup" folder in WinXX. It just has
> some extra lines that will change icons, etc. So if you wanted to "customize
> it" you would do something like...
>
> change the line that reads...
> Exec=/bin/bash -c "(pid=$(/sbin/pidof autorun) && ps -p $pid u|egrep ^$USER\
> >/dev/null)||if test -O /dev/console -a -x /usr/bin/autorun;then
> /usr/bin/autorun -l --interval=1000 --cdplayer=/usr/bin/kscd & fi"
>
> to...
>
> Exec=/bin/bash -c "echo a > /dev/null"
>
> Now you are executing a command that has no practical purpose, but achieves
> the same result.

> The ONLY purpose of that file is to execute the command to monitor the CD-R.
> Remove it if you don't want that to happen. It starts the program "autorun"
> (see above). You can place other files like this to have things start
> automatically in the Autostart folder. It is simply like a "rc.d" type area
> for KDE start-up or as I said above like the WinXX Startup folder. So if you
> think of each file as a "program or script to run", then if you don't want
> something to run, remove it.
>
> --
> Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
> Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Janyne Kizer
CNE-3, CNE-4, CNE-5
Systems Programmer Administrator I
NC State University, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Extension and Administrative Technology Services
Phone: (919) 515-3609