I had great difficulty getting passive mode to work on a 2.2.x box with
IP masq'd.  From what I've heard, IPtables handles that better than
ipchains, but I haven't had the opportunity to try that.

I don't use wu-ftpd, due to the countless amounts of security holes it
contains.  I use pureftpd (http://pureftpd.sourceforge.net).  It allows
me to specify the passive ports, and spoof the passive IP address that
gets passed as well.

If you're ftp server has a real world IP, then your task will be
significantly easier.  But more info is needed.

-Rob