> I'd be interested in your IPtables / pureftpd setup on this.  I'm running
> pure-ftpd also, and I haven't even tried to setup passive mode.  heck it's
> possible that I've got it enabled ;-)

Well, I'm not using IPtables, but ipchains.  ut here's what I had to do
to get passive mode to work:

My ftp server is masq'd behind a firewall.  My firewall has ipchains,
and I'm using ipmasqadm to forward ports to various machines.

>From my firewall, I forwarded ports 20,21 (for active transfers and
control), and 40030-40040 (for passive ports) to the ftp server.

On my FTP server, I configured pure-ftpd so that it will listen to
ports  40030-40040 when a passive mode is initiated by the client.

However, one extra step is needed.  When passive mode is started by the
client, the server sends it's IP address & desired passive port to the
client.  Since the IP address of the ftp server is a masqueraded ip,
this causes problems since this IP doesn't exist outside of the
firewall.  This is where pure-ftpd shines.  Pure-ftpd has an option that
allows me to specify the IP address that should be sent to the client
for a passive transfer.  This way, I can have the server send the
firewall IP address, thus allowing a successful transfer.

I think it took me likes 2 weeks to figure this out.  I was constantly
thinking it was a masq'd issue, or a port forwarding issue.  So much
trouble for such a simple solution.

--

-Rob