In 6.X, there is a file /etc/security/console.perms which changes
ownership and permissions of files on the system when you login.

I don't think the setup changed between 6.X and 7.X

The file is read by the pam_console module and all files listed will get
their permissions changed so the user at the console can use the
device.  When the user logs out, the file permissions are reverted to
those listed in console.perms

In my file I have the line:
<xconsole> 0600 /dev/console 0600 root.root

Hope this helps.

Juan

--
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.
                -- Anonymous