On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 11:28:53AM -0500, Juan Martinez wrote:
> In 6.X, there is a file /etc/security/console.perms which changes
> ownership and permissions of files on the system when you login.

I've got it too, and it seems that it wasn't changed during the upgrade (no
console.perms.rpmnew and it seems to me that it is the same file).

> I don't think the setup changed between 6.X and 7.X
>
> The file is read by the pam_console module and all files listed will get
> their permissions changed so the user at the console can use the
> device.  When the user logs out, the file permissions are reverted to
> those listed in console.perms
>
> In my file I have the line:
> <xconsole> 0600 /dev/console 0600 root.root

Me too. And also
<xconsole> 0600 <dri> 0600 root.root

According to the pam_console man page list, /var/run/console.lock and
/var/run/console are important, that's why I posted that in my previous post:

/dev/console is in mode 600 owned by root
/var/run/console.lock is present in mode 600 owned by root
/var/run/console contains a file with name the name of the user currently
logged, owned by root with perms 600

I think it shows that the user has his rights given by pam_console.

Pat