I've got a weird problem.

One of my systems can not connect to a remote host...while every other
system on the network can.

Now, I thought that maybe it was a matter of the IP being blocked/filtered
at the remote end...but at the time, the system was acting as a mail
server, and a masquerading firewall...so all connections to the remote end
looked like they were coming from the same IP.  Yet, connections directly
from the system in question were failing (even when had run "service
iptables stop").

So, thinking it might have to do with the firewall system, I put together
a dedicated firewall, and put the server behind it.  Now, with the
firewall masquerading that connection, the connections appear to be coming
from the firewall's IP.  Great?  No.

The firewall can make connections to the remote host, and the server still
can not.

So, I'm now trying to figure out what's going on with this system.  There
are no extraneous routes on the system...just the localhost, local
network, and default gateway.  This is a RH 7.1 box, fully up2dated.

Any ideas?  Anyone else having a similar problem?

Thanks.

--Mike