On 23:01 17 Jan 2002, Nick Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| > Call it extreme paranoia but I prefer not to compile anything as root.
| > I have a "build" directory in my $HOME where I put all the tarballs
| > I download.
| Well, that sounds reasonable but don't you have to 'make install' as
| root if you want to make programs availabe to other users?

Not if your system is set up carefully (depending where the install is to go).
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

[...] since digital bearer certificate technology, the most economical method
for doing business on the net, is entirely based on digital signatures, which
in turn are entirely based on very strong public key cryptography, all
business on the internet will eventually require very strong cryptography. In
other words, if you don't have unbreakable key sizes, you can't issue digital
certificates to pay for things with. It would be like having paper money
which is easy to forge. - Robert Hettinga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>