From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
On Behalf Of Tom Bentley
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 4:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: pop3 and imap suddenly very slow

Help!  My formerly functioning (beautifully) mail server is being
*extremely* slow of a sudden, taking over a minute between connect and
authorization.  This is RH 7.2 with sendmail-8.11.6-3 and imap-2000c-15.

The clients are MS Outlook Express -- these I can extend the timeout to
2 minutes, at which point it works -- and MS Outlook 2000 -- which I can
extend timeout for receiving, but times out trying to send.  Netscape
has same problems. Mail arrives at the server from outside with no
problem, and goes straight into /var/spool/mail/username.

I've tried re-installing the imap.rpm.  I have tried removing the
"log_on" lines in /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3.  I have tried putting entries for
each client in the /etc/hosts file.  I've changed Timeout.ident to 1s in
/etc/sendmail.cf.  Have stopped and started sendmail uncounted times.
Have cleared everything out of /var/spool/mqueue.

I have < 100 clients who use the server.  top reports 98% idle cpu, and
359meg mem free.  df reports plenty of free space on all mounts.  DNS
appears to work fine (nslookup responds instantly)

What could have gone wrong (suddenly--like overnight)?

-----
Tom Bentley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
802-872-5525