Thanks, I appreciate your help...

I tried the shutdown being the safer (read easier) of the two, the filesystem
checked out ok.  Therefore I'm left with a full root directory but not knowing
what's occupying all that space.

I had moved off some directories but still there's no improvement (mc shows
14Mb free space, df shows 0% availability)

Can anyone suggest a means of listing what's utilizing the space within the "/"
directory?

BTW, the rhinstall-stage2.img file is the only one left on "/" - what is it?
(the file command says it's the ext2 filesystem)

thanks again
/j-p.