On Monday 21 January 2002 12:00 pm, Chuck Mead wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Chris Montgomery posted the following:
>
> CM>There's a link to the story on the Reuters home page, under
> Technology, so CM>I would say it's legit. http://www.reuters.com
>
> it's also found its way on to cnn.com!
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/01/21/aol.red.hat.ap/index.html

Both articles quote the initial report in the Washington Post as their
sole source, however.

Oddly enough, CNN reported something along these lines earlier.

On December 31, 2001. :)

It wasn't a merger the author predicted, but still...

In their top 10 linux predictions for 2002, available at
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industry/12/31/linux.predictions.idg/

I quote:
- ------
8. You have (secure) mail

AOL will stun the world by releasing a beta AOL client for Linux. (AOL
Time Warner is the parent company of CNN.com.) This event will be marked
by both howls of protest and celebration. Command-line interface (CLI)
diehards will proclaim it to be the death of Linux. Most will simply
acknowledge its growing popularity.
- ----- End quote.

My own (tongue in cheek) prediction:

Personally, I think the merger talks are a diversion. They are really
working out a marketing deal that puts an AOL icon on the default
desktop.  Purchase of the Red Hat Linux (version X.P.) boxed set will
include 2000 free hours of AOL service. Every time you insert one of the
install CD's, you'll be asked if you are sure you don't want to subscribe
to AOL. Each time you refuse to install it, another install CD will
automatically appear in your mailbox, your cereal box, stuffed inside
your morning paper...... along with a note saying, "Resistance is futile,
you will be assimilated."

Since this thread isn't going to just die on it's own, I figured I might
as well quit trying to ignore it and have a little fun. :)

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt

- --