At 11:22 AM 1/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>last night, while i'm surfing, i has found that thereis a lot of script to exploit
>wu-ftpd,
>my question is, how do i secure my ftpd, while default package from redhat is wu-ftpd,
>i know there is a lot of alternatives than wu-ftpdm like proftpd, ncftpd, but
>i remembered that one of the redhat employee said that wu-ftpd isn't very bad.
>
>how do i secure my wu-ftpd on my server, or i must change my ftpd?

you secure it by:

rpm -e wu-ftpd
wget <favorite FTP server here><correct path here>/proftpd*.rpm
rpm -ihv proftpd*.rpm
Either edit /etc/proftpd.conf and set it to ServerType standalone or make sure you
have the appropriate entries in <x>inted{.conf|.d}

Seriously. ProFTPd is generally the best for your type of situation (and it's Free
Software).

>how big impact of chroot wu-ftpd, can that avoid root access to my systems?

Not much.

>thank you for your advices
>
>--
>ichtus