Hi,

I have been struggling with the changeover from Cox@home to Cox.net in the
past week and I have hit a cross-roads.  I need assistance with
troubleshooting some DNS issues that I'm having.

I'm running RH 7.1 with IPmasquerading and IPCHAINS.

My problems are as follows:

1) Cox now requires DHCP, so I shifted eth0 to DHCP and it picks up the
address just fine and the DNS servers.  But they also issue dynamic
hostnames with every lease.  So in their literature they say that you can
use anything for hostname.  But if I do, then I can't resolve my hostname
when I bootup...I fixed this by changing the hosts file to resolve my
current hostname to my current address.  But what happens when the address
changes....I'm hosed again.

2) My internal clients cannot access the support.cox.net site at all.  I
think that this has something to do with the fact that they are masq'd and
they have different domain suffixes? maybe...

3) internal clients can't access Mail. I think for the same reason listed
above.  They can ping the server, but are denied access, even when I put the
fixed IP of the mail server into the box.

4)DNS confuses the hell out of me and I can't get my mind around the
problem.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Carl

"He who has not first laid his foundations, may with great ability,
lay them afterwards, but they will be laid with trouble to the architect
and a danger to the building."  - Machiavelli