On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:24:56PM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been struggling with the changeover from Cox@home to Cox.net in the
> past week and I have hit a cross-roads.  I need assistance with
> troubleshooting some DNS issues that I'm having.
>
> I'm running RH 7.1 with IPmasquerading and IPCHAINS.
>
> My problems are as follows:
>
> 1) Cox now requires DHCP, so I shifted eth0 to DHCP and it picks up the
> address just fine and the DNS servers.  But they also issue dynamic
> hostnames with every lease.  So in their literature they say that you can
> use anything for hostname.  But if I do, then I can't resolve my hostname
> when I bootup...I fixed this by changing the hosts file to resolve my
> current hostname to my current address.  But what happens when the address
> changes....I'm hosed again.

You can fudge a random hostname as an alias to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts and
by setting the random hostname in /etc/sycconfig/network. This will keep
your machine mostly happy but is an ugly hack.

> 2) My internal clients cannot access the support.cox.net site at all.  I
> think that this has something to do with the fact that they are masq'd and
> they have different domain suffixes? maybe...

I doubt it. Look elsewhere. Try tcpdumping on the gateway box while your clients
are trying to hit support.cox.net and see what happens. Also take a good hard look
at your network setup.

Besides, if cox was able to detect NATed connections, they could do far worse things
than block access to their support site.

> 3) internal clients can't access Mail. I think for the same reason listed
> above.  They can ping the server, but are denied access, even when I put the
> fixed IP of the mail server into the box.

Again, look at your network/firewall setup.

> 4)DNS confuses the hell out of me and I can't get my mind around the
> problem.

Heh. It gets worse when you try and run dns yourself ;-)

Matt