On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 04:47:42PM -0400, Geoffrey Lane wrote:
> I've just installed Redhat Linux and everything worked fine except on of
> it's 2 ethernet adapters did not install correctly or is incompatable
> with this version of linux, I'm not sure which one exactly and quite
> frankly I'm not sure which one it is
> Eth0 = is not working correctly
> Eth1 = works just fine
>
> The one I can find information on is a smc (called in winXP) but in
> linux it's called accon (SP?) [I know it's the one pre-installed on my
> computer when I bought it] and the other one installed on my computer is
> a linksys... How can I make sure of this? How do these references (eth0)
> relate to windows?

The easiest thing to do is to have the Linux system tell you what it found:

$ dmesg | grep eth

dmesg will print the kernel ring buffer, so do this shortly after a boot - you
may get away with it later, but the sooner the better.  You'll also see the
output while you're booting, but it's easy to miss since it scrolls by so
quickly.

> I'm just starting out with Linux and not at all familiar with it's
> driver data base and don't even know where to start installing a new one
> or finding drivers on the web. I have a 3.5" with a linux driver for the
> linksys but I need to make sure what I'm installing and how to get it
> all working.Can someone help me out with this problem?!?!?!

Typically you can ignore the vendor's driver floppy if you're installing a
recent copy of Red Hat Linux.  The kernel support is pretty darn good these
days.  If you run the standard Red Hat setup tools, things normally just work.

I did a quick Google search and it looks like you may have an Accton
Ethernet card, not accon.  The thread was nearly 3 years old and it looks
like the Accton cards were supported then with the tulip driver.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]