I am not familiar with 2 nic on the same computer. However, I have
installed a linksys on this system.  At first it was not
recognized by the system.  It is using the tulip driver.  This is
how I did it

1) /sbin/insmod tulip
2) /sbin/ifup eth0 (for me this card was on eth0 could be eth1 )
3) /etc/rc.d/initd/kudzu restart  ( this is probing the hardware )

Provided that kudzu now detects your network cards you can
configure your networkk connections

4) start the network configuration utility -- when the card was
detected this was done almost automatically
5) edit /etc/modules.conf to contain the line

alias eth0 tulip

Of course,  I am assuming that your connetions are working!  For
this only required to perform step 1 and 2.  The other steps were
required to automate the connection profile.

Hope this helps

Cheers.

Dominic.