On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 07:03:47PM -0200, José Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am going to rebuild and install the binary RPM packages of the Linux
> kernel from Rawhide in my RedHat Linux 7.2 box. I am not sure what
> packages can be safely installed while trying to keep the system
> well integrated. In particular, it seems that the glibc and the
> kernel-headers packages are tied together, that is, I should not
> install the Rawhide kernel-headers. Currently I have the following
> kernel packages installed:
>
>       kernel-2.4.7-10 (i686)
>       kernel-2.4.9-21 (i686)
>       kernel-headers-2.4.9-21
>       kernel-source-2.4.9-21
>
> I want to keep them and also install the new ones
>
>       kernel-2.4.17-0.12 (i686)
>       kernel-source-2.4.17-0.12

You will need to grab the following src.rpm packages from rawhide, recompile them,
and install them in order to be able to install rawhide kernels without unsatisfied
dependencies:

MAKEDEV (and the dev package that is produced by recompiling the MAKEDEV src.rpm)
modutils
initscripts

> Will the new kernel-headers be needed for something, like compiling
> third party kernel modules (like avfs and alsa) for the new kernel,
> or can I just disregard it?

kernel-headers are used in conjunction with glibc-devel to allow you to compile
period. kernel-headers should not be used to compile external kernel modules.

There is really no need to upgrade kernel-headers in your situation.