On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:23:42 EST
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am having a problem with inbound SMTP connections.  First of all, I am
> running a brand new install of Redhat 7.2 and I have made sure that sendmail
> is running.  I am trying to set the box up to receive incoming mail (within
> my local network), i.e. to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Outgoing mail works
> fine. However when I issue the following command
>
> telnet mymachine 25
>
> I get a response that the connection to mymachine.domain is refused.  However
> if I issue this command
>
> telnet localhost 25
>
> it works fine.
>
> Also, when I issue a netstat -a, the line showing information about SMTP
> shows
>
> tcp        0      0 localhost.localdom:smtp *:*                     LISTEN
>
> Is this correct or should it show the real machine name and domain?  How can
> I get the machine to accept connections to the real name as opposed to using
> localhost?  I'm assuming that I have to modify some of the files in the
> /etc/mail directory but not sure which files or what to add...
>
> Any help would be appreciated...
>
> Cory

This is a common issue; be sure to check in your firewall rules that you are allowing
sendmail to go through the network. This should have been selected in the installation
of
Red Hat. For security purposes, all services are disabled from the network point of
view, leaving them to be turned on by the Systems Administrator. To check this, you
can do
an ipchains -L and see all the firewall rules that are in place. If there is one for
denying sendmail, remove it and then restart ipchains. Other than that, it should work
fine.

HTH,

-- Jonathan

--