I have a redhat 7.1 system. I'm trying to limit the number of login failures
to prevent brute-forcing passwords. To do this I changed
/etc/pam.d/system-auth to contain this:

auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so no_magic_root
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_tally.so deny=5 no_magic_root
account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5
shadow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

Is this the right way of doing it? I want to make sure that no matter what
way someone tries a password it will count towards the limit of 5 failures.
I would prefer to have it autounlock after a certain time of no password
tries, but then I found a problem.

It seems that when trying a password through telnet or ftp or whereever, if
it is the wrong password there will be a delay of a few seconds. If it is
the right password but the account is locked out, there will be no delay.
Thus you can still brute force a password with this locking enabled, and if
the lock count is cleared after an hour of no attempts, you could then login
with the brute forced password.

Am I going about this the wrong way? How should I do this?

Andreas