hi,
I think your cd is fine.
It sounds like the install cd kernel does not see your cdrom.
I think you can press alt-f2 to get to a kind of a shell prompt.
>From there you might be able to see what it picked up.
You can also try to create an install floppy and try booting with that.
May be, it then picks up the cd.  I once had that working for a simelar
problem
on an older rh version.
regards, Willem