From: Williams, Jeff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 10:44 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: rcp, nfs or ftp?

Essentially, I'm trying to figure out which way would be best as a
standard...  I do have some older production machines that I'm not sure will
run a current version of ssh...  (Not sure on that one, I'll have to check)
Often I'll have to bring up nodes that are some what identical to other
nodes and one of the processes is to backup certain files using an automated
process to push the files to a backup server.  (This is where my question
comes into play)  I want something that can be easy to bring up a node
without too much human error and doesn't bring down the server...

One thing I did find out and maybe someone can give me some insight to this
one.   Once when trying rcp and having lots of nodes go to one server to
push their files, after a few minutes inetd reported that too many
connections where encountered and it shutdown for about 5 minutes due to a
denial of service attack.  This is an issue that I want to make sure I don't
run into.  I think that I might have ran into this one with ftp also...
Does scp have this limitation since it's not under inetd?

With nfs I constantly see errors in the messages file about nfs server not
responding and then immediately it says it found the nfs server.  To me this
sounds like broadcast traffic...

Right now, we have many scripts that utilize all four methods if you include
scp.  I'm just trying to get things more in sync and try to use one method
that would be best.

Thanks for all the input!

Jeff Williams