CTRL-Z stops the process and gives you control,

Just type "bg" (No quotes) and the process goes into the "background".

You can switch processes at any time by typing "fg process_id"

And/or see running jobs by typing "jobs".

That will help you.  Although all output will be mixed on your screen.

man bash (or whatever shell you are using) then search for fg, bg, jobs
etc..

Rgds,
Darryl