On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:39:28 +0000
Adam Mercer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> blurted:

> > | When I send mail from my system the Return-Path: header in the
> > | email is set to
> > | this is obviously causing a few problems, how can I make sure that
> > | this is set to the right address?
> >
> > The domain is set in /etc/sendmail.cf, thus:
> >
> >     Djcskk.homeip.net
> >
> > Bear in mind that you need to have a _real_ domain to use this.  For
> > example, using your ISP's domain may cause trouble. If your system
> > lets any email out (i.e. from random-account@your-host) then the
> > return path will be [EMAIL PROTECTED] (if that's what
> > you set). This is probably a very bad thing. This is why I obtained
> > my own domain("cskk.homeip.net", above). That way the namespace for
> > the local parts is mine, and can't cause trouble fr my ISP or its
> > users.
>
> I've got a dyndns.org domain which is the next thing I'm going to
> setup, however with that I've got a problem I need to solve. In
> /etc/hosts will I need the ip addres that my machine is currently
> using eg
>
> 127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain   localhost
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       skymoo.dyndns.org       skymoo
>
> if so how can I write my current ip address in /etc/hosts?
>
> Cheers
>
> Adam

You don't need it unless you're doing something really weird. I have 3
different services (dtdns, dns2go and another that escapes me at the
moment). I don't have my IP anywhere on my system in a manner that has
anything to do with email, nameservers, etc. I make sure my current
resolv.conf has the right nameserver entries for my ISP, and all is
well. The nameservers all over the world forward to their service, and
they in turn forward directly to the IP they have on record at the time.
Since I have pretty much the same IP all of the time, I also set them it
as a permanent IP address with 2 of them and haven't had any problems
with that either (at least, unless/until my IP starts changing, I
shouldn't).

I should point out, I'm not using them for email either (some offer it,
some don't). But even that shouldn't make any difference as long as my
machine talks directly to their servers.

--
Let's organize this thing and take all the fun out of it.