On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 09:59:29AM -0500, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 12:16 AM 2/26/02 -0500, Brian Ashe wrote:
> >On Monday February 25, 2002 11:22, Frank Bax said something about:
> >> We have a print server device that connects parrallel cable to CAT5.
> >Do you have a firewall that is blocking the connection?
> >What port is it using?
> >The default firewall in RH7.2 would likely block this type of connection.
>
> Thanks for the prompt response!  I don't know how to find out what port
> this is using.  I am using default firewall, but know nothing about it.

[ewilts@www ewilts]$ grep -i print /etc/services
printer         515/tcp         spooler         # line printer spooler
printer         515/udp         spooler         # line printer spooler

You'll need to ensure that port 515 is open.  However, I would have thought
that the firewall configuration in 7.2 would block *incoming* connections, not
outgoing connections.  I don't run Red Hat's firewall so I can't check for
sure.

One easy way to check is to telnet to your printer using port 515 and see
what the printer returns.  You'll be able to tell if the connection doesn't
get there, if it's refused, or if it gives you a prompt looking for more
data.  Typically, if a firewall refuses the connection, the attempt will be
dropped into the bit bucket rather than refused so a connection refused return
will likely signify that the print server doesn't like you.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]