Hello Janyne,

Monday, March 04, 2002, 8:53:48 AM, you textually orated:

JK> I would like to customize the default KDE desktop that my users get.
JK> How can we remove items from the default desktop (KDE Control Panel,
JK> Linux Documentation, www.redhat.com and Trash)?

Create a user. Then set up this user's environment (icons, etc.) to the way
you want it. Then take (at least) the .kde directory and copy it over to the
/etc/skel directory. There is already one there so you will overwrite that
one. Then when new users are created they will get what is in there. That
also applies to their other shells as well. "/etc/skel" is the "base" for
what users get when set up.

JK> Also, any ideas about how we can prevent editing of the menu and
JK> taskbar?  We would like for users to be able to add icons to their
JK> desktops but we would like for the to have the KPanel and KMenu that we
JK> provide.  We feel that this would ease the phone support burden.

Then "main" menu is only editable by root. When a user edits their menu they
are doing so only for themselves. KDE merges all the available menus.

To prevent them from editing the menu, the best way I can think of is to
make the permissions for the menu editor for root only. Then it would take
some real savvy to edit the menu files by hand, but wouldn't stop them from
creating icons.

Have fun,
 Brian Ashe                     CTO
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]              Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.
 http://www.dee-web.com/