The problem is that we have 1300 users on 100 servers at 100 sites and
less that three full time support people.  We need to know what the
menus are like so that we can effectively offer phone support.  This
model has worked for the systems that we have in the field now (mostly
Solaris and some Windows Terminal Server).  We'd like to lock down the
Linux systems if possible.

Alan Peery wrote:

> Janyne Kizer wrote:
>
> > Also, any ideas about how we can prevent editing of the menu and
> > taskbar?  We would like for users to be able to add icons to their
> > desktops but we would like for the to have the KPanel and KMenu that we
> > provide.  We feel that this would ease the phone support burden.
>
> Why not let them customize these links--and if they break it, restore the
> defaults.
> This way if you have power users they can create a more useful workspace
> for themselves, while you have an easy way to get them functional should
> they make any really bad errors.  I suspect if you look around under
> ~/.kde, you'll find you could
> "copy ~user/.kde/foo ~user/.kde/foo.broken; copy /etc/skel/.kde/foo
> ~user/.kde/foo."  This would preserve as many of their other settings
> possible, while fixing the specific KDE setting that was broken.
>
> If you encourage a selected few of your users to customize this way, you'll
> get good ideas back that you can use for improving everyone's work
> environment.
>
> Alan

Janyne Kizer
CNE-3, CNE-4, CNE-5
Systems Programmer Administrator I
NC State University, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Extension and Administrative Technology Services
Phone: (919) 515-3609