Patrick Nelson wrote:
----------------->>>>
Setting the repository as a normal user (i.e. my username) and the group
name as cvs (yep has the proper people there, include my username) did not
change any of the errors.

The book seem good so I will read through it.  However, a quick glance into
very specific areas didn't reveal any solution to my problems.
----------------->>>>
OK so after browsing through the book Gordon suggested, I got an idea.  So I
tested it out and it worked within the environment that I need it to.  Here
is the way I did it:

user="pnelson"
cvslocal="/usr/local/cvsrep"

mkdir .bon
chown $user:cvs .bon
cd .bon
su $user -c 'cvs -d $cvslocal co bon/il'
cd bon/il
vi il.txt  <-did some editing and saved changes
su $user -c 'cvs -d $cvslocal ci -m "Update change"'
cd ../..
su $user -c 'echo "y"|cvs -d $cvslocal re bon'
cd ..
rmdir .bon

Thanks to Gordon, Harry, and Bill for the help!