I have 2 places where passwords are being set on a server where the passwords
seem to be encrypted using crypt instead of MD5.

1. chpasswd command
Scripts that setup new users, and reset passwords, are using the following
command to set the password:

echo "$user:$password" | chpasswd

Now this seems to add the password in crypt form.  Using the -e parameter you
can pass an encrypted password instead of a plaintext one.  Assuming this
accepts an MD5 password, how can I generate in a bash script the MD5 password?

2. poppassd daemon
I have a php page which calls the poppassd daemon to change passwords but
this also seems to call PAM to use crypt passwords.  Any ideas here?

Failing solving the above, is there something I could run (perhaps on a
nightly basis) to process the shadow file and convert the crypt style
passwords into MD5 ones?
--
Regards,