On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 05:58:48AM -0000, Peter Kiem wrote:

> Failing solving the above, is there something I could run (perhaps on a
> nightly basis) to process the shadow file and convert the crypt style
> passwords into MD5 ones?

        Both DES hashes (crypt) and MD5 hashes are one way hash
functions (yes, I know DES is a cryto algorithm, it's being used
as a hashing function in this case).  You can not algorithmically
reverse the hashes back to the plain text passwords and (by implication,
since the two alogrithms orthogonal) you can not convert between
one hash and the other.

> --
> Regards,
> | Peter Kiem            | E-Mail    : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
> | Zordah IT             | Mobile    : +61 0414 724 766    |
> |   IT Consultancy &    | WWW       : www.zordah.net      |
> |   Internet Hosting    | ICQ       : "Zordah" 866661     |

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/