On Thu, 2002-03-14 at 07:21, Robert Jones wrote:
> I just bought an Epson Stylus C80 to use with RH 6.0 realizing that I
> probably wasn't going to realize anything close to the resolution the
> printer is capable of without without installing a wad of upgrades.
> Things could be going better.
>
> This will buy me a B&W printout using the printtool option for
> postsript.  (The red hat is black; the color bar, grays).
>
> [root@localhost rj]# cat /etc/printcap
> <snip warning>
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor stcany
> {}
> lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
> [root@localhost rj]#
>
> This one is worse!  I wind up using a bunch of paper with 4 or 5 lines
> of gibberish printed on each.
>

>  ##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL uniprint NAxNA letter {} U_EpsonStylusColor
> stc800p {}
> lp:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :sh:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp0:\
>         :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
>
> I have tried some others, too,  but I have yet to see 1 color dot on the
> paper.
>
> Can anyone offer some words of wisdom here?
>
> Thanks

Robert,

Check out
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_C80

You'll have to install GIMP-Print (and perhaps a "wad of upgrades" :) to
get full colour support. I have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 at home with
the latest versions of GIMP-Print and CUPS (this was recommended in the
GIMP-Print documentation as the best combo) and everything works great.

I highly recommend using CUPS with GIMP-Print. For one, CUPS has nice
web admin tool for configuring the printers. And second, using the
traditional LP tools may require an additional upgrade of ghostscript,
and possibly Foomatic, to use the GIMP-Print drivers. Consult the
GIMP-Print documentation to find out what you need.

--
Trevor Hamm