On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 04:49:36AM -0600, Vidiot wrote:

> >--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB
> >
> >you can find it yourself by
> >find / -type f \( -perm -4000 -o -perm -2000 \) \-exec ls -la {} \;
> >then get rid of it by chmod
>
> I know where the file is.  chmod will not change the permissions.  It is
> the other program that I need to run to be able to do that.  Then I can
> fix it so that rm will work on it.

chmod should change those permissions fine.  The numerical equivalent
of -rws--S--- would be 6700.  An 's' or 'S' in place of the 'x' means
that that group's id bit is set.  A capital 'S' means that the
executable permission is _not_ set, and a lowercase 's' means that it
is set.

So in this example, the file permissions look like -rw------- plus it
is set user id (suid) and set group id (sgid).

It is also possible to have a 't' or 'T' in place of the rightmost
dash or 'x'.  That means that the file's sticky bit is set.  A
lowercase 't' means that the file also has world executable
permissions, and an uppercase 'T' means it doesn't.

One more example: if you wanted to use chmod to give your file
-rwxr-xr-x and retain the suid and sgid bits, you would do this

$ chmod 6755 yourfile

Of course, you could also use chmod's symbolic permission scheme:

$ chmod go+rx yourfile

You can read more about that in the info docs.  type

$ info 'file utilities'

and visit the 'File Permissions' node.

Sorry this was so long...probably about as clear as mud too. :)

Regards,
Ben

--
Ben Logan: ben at wblogan dot net