Thank you everyone who helped.

As Anthony suggested I had Apache SSL enabled with my
Redhat installation I just couldn't tell by looking at
httpd.conf file.  But once I started apache directly
instead of resin (the server I'm trying to install) I
could connect on https://localhost.

Now off I go to see why resin can't listen on secure
port.

thanks again very much