Edward Marczak wrote:
----------------->>>>
Greg and I have followed this up off-list.  I'm posting this to the list for
the benefit of others who may be battling the same thing.

All I can tell you is what worked for me.

In /etc/grub.conf, you need to pass the 'vga' parameter to the kernel.  Like
always, you can use 'ask' so you are asked to select a resolution at
startup.  For example:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda2 vga=2

I also needed to edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n to change the 'SYSFONT' line.
Otherwise, your vga change gets obliterated when you get the boot time
message of 'Setting default font'.  I changed mine to "lat0-08".  Works
wonders.

Reboot, and now I have an 80x50 text screen.  I've done this on 3 RH7.2
boxes: A Dell laptop, a dell desktop and a Compaq Desktop.

Thanks to Greg for pointing me to the sysconfig directory.

Hope this works for everyone, and helps at least someone.  Enjoy.

I'm getting ready to implement fb on a system that is missing a driver for
and this is a setting that I was wondering how to set within a grub
environment.  So what is the entry?  Is it just the vga=2 part??  Can I do
something like vga=771?  How would you implement ask?

Probably questions that you had also...  Did you do the vga thing for fb
support?

If so, did you config X with the fb driver?  Did it work ok?