Our company has a single linux server (running seawolf) along with a bunch of
Macs (one running OS X, most running OS 9 eventually becoming OS X).  We have
our mail "home" and website at a $10/mo. web hosting place.  That is where we
currently have our mail apps in MacOS pointed for sending out their mail.

However, we had our segment of the site go down for a few days.  Not only can
we not retrieve our mail, but we are unable to send mail out.  With our
cable-modem connection to the net, though, our Linux server can mail just fine
from the sendmail running on it because it will directly connect to the
receiving host as "normal" sendmail does.

What we'd like to do is to have the Macs point their mail apps to the Linux
server so that that server can send the mail out directly.  Right now, though,
that doesn't work.

The Linux server sits behind a firewall which does not allow access to an SMTP
port, so it should be pretty secure to just let the sendmail on that system
relay mail from any system on the internal network to any system on the
outside.

>From reading /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README, it seems that the feature
"promiscuous_relay" would do what we want.  So, I added:
        FEATURE(`promiscuous_relay')
to the redhat.mc file in /usr/share/sendmail-cf/cf and ran m4 on it.  I put
the resulting file in as my /etc/sendmail.cf file and restarted sendmail.

However, when we tried to have one of the Macs use our server as the SMTP host
for outgoing mail, it timed out and failed.

Is there something I missed?  I've never used qmail (I've gotten used to using
the files in /usr/share/sendmail-cf so I've stuck with it), but would that be
an easier way to do this?

Thanks for the help!

-Michael

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
        They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary