At 4/10/2002 02:51 AM +0100, you wrote:
>  Um, why not static for your own systems and a group of DHCP-served
>addresses for visitors?  I currently have three static addresses and
>two DHCP-served dynamic addresses here.

Doing this already. My point was that (WITHOUT putting them into the same
zone as my stuff and WITHOUT incurring relevant security risks) it would be
a wonderful convenience in some scenarios to be able to simply ask the guy
plugging into the network what his hostname is, and then being able to
reach his computer by name.

>Is it not possible to hand out static addresses (based on hostname)
>using DHCP for the machine to retrieve the address at boot-time?  I'm
>pretty sure we did this at my (ex-)workplace.

It is possible and is how I do it today for my own systems. However, it
requires knowledge of the MAC address and previous configuration; not
useful for guests etc.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz