Is there a scanner howto for Linux?

I just got an Epson 1650 and I plugged it into my enigma machine and I'm
having some trouble.  It doesn't show up in /proc/bus/usb/devices and the
messages file shows that the scanner won't accept its new address.  I'm
wondering if this is a normal issue...

If there are any scanner docs out there, someone please let me know.  Until I
hear of something more concrete, I'll just have to try to see what I can find
out from the USB sub-system docs at sourceforge and from the SANE docs...

Thanks!

-Michael

--
In light of the terrorist attack on the U.S.:
        They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary