Gerry Doris wrote:

> On 12 Apr 2002, Saul Arias wrote:
>
> > I have to set up a VPN between two networks at separate physical
> > locations over DSL connections (static IP), using two RH 72 boxes as
> > end-points. After some research, I have found that I can use either
> > FreeSWAN or Cipe.
> >
> > I do not know which way to go. It looks that FreeSWAN is the "standard",
> > but looks much more complicated to set up than Cipe.
> >
> > Any suggestions, comments, recommendations will be appreciated.
> >
> > Saul
>
> I just bought an excellent book published by NewRiders call "Building
> Linux VPN's".  It's a very practical hands on HOWTO type book.  It goes
> into very little theory and spends virtually all the rest on step by step
> setting up a variety of VPN's.  Both CIPE and Free/Swan are included.
>
> You might want to check it out.
>
> --
> Gerry

The answer is of course, it depends...  If you just need a simple encripted
pipe, the CIPE works just fine.  Easy to set up and works flawlessly.
Reasonably
low overhead also.  FreeSWAN is really industrial strength; very flexable, but
seems to have a good bit more overhead and more difficult to set up.

I use CIPE because all I need is simple encriped pipes and I run it on a small
firewall/router (CD based LEAP).

Best

Cokey