Check the /etc/xinetd.conf file.  Is telnet there?

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Billy Davis
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 12:49 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Telnet connection fails

We have an RH7.2 Server on the same network with a Win2K Client and an SCO Server.  All 3 systems can be successfully pinged from the other systems.  However, when we try to telnet to the RedHat box from the Win2K Client, we get this message:

    Could not open a connection to host: Connect failed

When we try to telnet to the RedHat box from the SCO box, we get this message:

    Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

When we try to telnet to the SCO box from the RedHat box, we get a successful login.

We used serviceconf on the RedHat box to enable the telnet server and then rebooted the RedHat box.  However, we notice with the ps -d command, that telnetd is NOT running.

Both hosts.allow and hosts.deny are empty.

What have we missed?

Thanks