    bd> Ray:
    bd> I changed the line to disabled = yes and verified that the telnet LISTEN was
    bd> gone.  But I still get the same error messages from both the Win2K and SCO
    bd> boxes when I try to telnet in.

    bd> Seems to me that telnet needs to be enabled and NOT disabled in order to
    bd> work, or do I misunderstand?

Correct, my mistake for not following this thread fully. If you are
trying to get telnet to work, a mistake unless absolutely necessary,
the line should be 'disabled = no'.

    bd> ----- Original Message -----
    bd> From: "Ray Curtis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    bd> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    bd> Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 3:30 PM
    bd> Subject: Re: Re: Telnet connection fails

    bd> Hello Ross:
    bd> 1. The output of the netstat command included the following:

    bd> tcp    0    0  *:telnet        *:*                LISTEN
    bd> 1940/xinetd

    bd> What does this mean?

    >> This means you have a port listening [open] for telnet connections, this
    >> should be closed.

    bd> 2. The xinetd.conf file is quite short and does NOT contain any
    bd> reference to
    bd> telnet.  However there IS a telnet file in /etc/xinetd.d that
    bd> contains this
    bd> line (among others):

    bd> disable = no

    >> That's the one, change to: