yep, looks like it's IPCHAINS! The two lines:
REJECT     tcp  -y----  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   0:1023
and
REJECT     udp  ------  anywhere             anywhere              any
->   0:1023

are rejecting tcp and udp traffic from anywhere to any port between 0
and 1023. Telnet runs at port 23, ergo, your traffic is being blocked!

You can delete these two chains with:
ipchains -D input 3   < -- numeric identifier for the "tcp" reject chain
and
ipchains -D input 5   <--for udp

Then you can customize your ipchains to allow telnet, but disallow
everything else, or however you might want to do that. Try man ipchains
for more information there. You will also need to remove these chains
from the startup scripts (rc.firewall or rc.local I think). If you want
to just wax all your ipchains, the ipchains -F will do the trick.

<rant>Use openssh, telnet is insecure and not as functional</rant>

-matthew