> From: "Todd A. Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Sharkey, Scott wrote:
>
> > I did this, it worked like a charm, but now I'm finding with Openssh 3.x
> > and RH 7.2 that the performance is DOG SLOW - like
>
> Turn on and maximize compression. Check your link for packet loss. Are you
> using a bigger application?
>
> If none of this works for you, try using VNC over SSH. It's often much
> more efficient, since it's just sending screen data instead of an actual X
> client. YMMV.

Yes, the speed of your network is much more important than CPU speed
(so compressing the network data will be beneficial). SSH over X with
a 100Mbps local network works quite nice for most things although it
may be a little slow for something with image data (i.e., an OpenGL
window or an image viewer). SSH over a 56K dial up line is
unbearable. I've run graphical apps (although no image data) and emacs
over a cable modem - it's usable, but by no means fast.

BTW, are you the Scott Sharkey I know or are there two Scott Sharkey's
using Linux in Columbus?

Dave