http://xine.sourceforge.net/)
>is pretty good to. With plugins their DVD-support is a little better than
>mplayer's. But to play dvd, I prefer ogle
>(http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/)

Mplayer indeed is very good at playing all kinds of formats (understands
most formats of all videoplayers). For DVD Ogle is the one that does
understand DVD menus. But I am having troubles with audio-video
synchronisation. Especially when moving to different part of the
movie by playback en fast forward, even when pausing during play.

For DVD playback I prefer VideoLAN Client (aka VLC). It has a good
performance and did overcome all the sound-video synchronisation I
had (even with older versions of VLC). I can recommend VLC 0.3.0 and
up for this!

Rick