I believe the updates may be generated because you have the DNS cache
client enabled. This service is not required but is optional in that it
maintains a cache of DNS lookups that this machine has performed rather
than querying the DNS server.

Bruce Embrey

At 12:38 PM 4/25/2002 -0400, you wrote:

> > > Remember, its Microsoft....you may have to reboot the 4 systems.
> >
> > rebooted many times since i unchecked.
> >
> > nothing happens !
>
>Is your Win2000 Server an active directory controller? If so, there is
>your problem. Active directory tries to register a bunch of resource
>records in the DNS server. To eliminate this problem, you have several
>possibilities:
>
>1. Enable dynamic updates on your DNS server. This can be done to either
>the main zone, or to specific zones (_msdcs.domain.com, _tcp.domain.com,
>_udp.domain.com, _sites.domain.com)
>2. Move your DNS to the Win2000 server.
>3. A hybrid of the previous two (my choice). In your DNS, delegate the
>subdomain mentioned in one to the Win2000 server, and setup the Windows
>DNS server with primary zones for them, as well as a secondary zone for
>the main domain.
>
>If you choose alternative 3 and get stuck, get in touch with me and I'll
>send a detailed procedure once I finnish writing it.
>
>Cheers,
>
>--
>Javier Gostling
>Ingeniero de Sistemas
>Virtualia S.A.
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Fono: +56 (2) 202-6264 x 130
>Fax: +56 (2) 342-8763
>Mobil: +56 (9) 824-5236
>
>Av. Kennedy 5757, of 1502
>Las Condes
>Santiago
>Chile

Bruce Edward Embrey : Systems Manager / Campus Email Admin. : Hood College
[EMAIL PROTECTED] : Phone (301)696-3927 : Fax (301)696-3913