At 5/6/2002 05:43 PM -0500, you wrote:
>As for Red Hat's role in this.  They are culpable on one count - since I now
>have my own subnet, I always upgrade my systems with the new
>releases.  However,
>they have decided that most of us are rich, and that no one uses 486s and PIs
>anymore.

Not true, IMHO. In order to promote the acceptance of Linux on the desktop,
they seek to make the installer friendlier and easier, and more able to
handle quirks of each install as well as more languages, more features,
more help, etc.

This takes more RAM and they are going after that market which is, after
all, the one most likely to be able to pay for stuff. Let's remember that
Red Hat must turn a profit or eventually die of starvation, like every
other corporation on Earth.

Red Hat has limited resources and has not been able to optimize installs
for too broad a base of hardware.

>Thanks to the Rule people and Miniconda I was finally able this weekend to
>upgrade the hacked box to 7.2.  But Rule is an independent project and not
>affiliated with Red Hat.

Note that one of RULE's goals is hopefully to get integrated into Red Hat's
installs once RULE is fully fleshed-out and functional, as an alternative
installation method for machines unable to handle anaconda's weight. Please
help test and improve RULE if you have the time...

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz