On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 17:43, Glen Lee Edwards wrote:
<snip>
> As for Red Hat's role in this.  They are culpable on one count - since I now
> have my own subnet, I always upgrade my systems with the new releases.  However,
> they have decided that most of us are rich, and that no one uses 486s and PIs
> anymore.  Two thirds of my boxes have 16 MB RAM and can't install the current
> releases.  One key reason why I was hacked is because I couldn't upgrade those
> boxes.  So don't tell me that I'm solely responsible here.

Glen-

FYI redhat continues to provide security updates to at least 6.2 not
sure about earlier releases.  Since we don't really know even after this
rather lengthly thread what was done to gain access to your box.  Was it
unneeded / misconfigured services? was it running a known expliotable
version of a needed service? was it running an inherently insecure
service like telnet and logging in as root and having someone sniff your
password? ( probably not the last one IMHO)

I was hacked at my home firewall (RH 6.2) the dayafter I got my dsl
connection here because I left sendmail active and there was a known
exploit for it.  BTW I did not even need sendmail on the box.  FWIW it
is still a RH 6.2 install but fairly secure at this point. At least no
issues for over a year constantly connected and many many scans and
various attempts daily

I think RH has done a good job keeping security related issues fixed for
this version.  If they are culpable in anything it is by not issuing
openssh rpms for it since it was not included in the original distro.

While I would stop short of saying that you are a menace or what ever
the other poster called you, I do think that there is an inherent
responsibility for all connecting a box to the net.  RedHat has come a
long way in having the default installation much more secure in later
releases, 6.2 was abit behind the curve in that regard.

You seem to have at least some regard for these issues since you do
after all subscribe to this list and participate.  That requires a
pretty good deal of commitment.  THere is however a tone to your posts
from which I infer the following:

Security is hard
RedHat does not make it easy.
Therefore I am not going to worry about it.

This is not entirely fair since you have gone out of your way to find a
way to install 7.2 on a low resource box.  You get  big points for that
in my opinion.  However assumming that upgrading will fix a lax attitude
to security issues will mean that I expaect a post in the near future
with a subject the same as the one of this thread.  You need to upgrade
the packages from the redhat ftp site or your favorite mirror or you
WILL have problems.

I apologize for the apparently pointless ramblings but this is the third
time I have sat down to my computer while I have been writing this.

Bret