Hello,
I'm setting up iptables policies on one of my machines and I'm having some
problems with it...  For a mail server, I set up the following rules:

iptables -P INPUT DROP
iptables -A -i eth0 -p tcp -d localhost --destination-port smtp -j ACCEPT
iptables -A -i eth0 -p udp -d localhost --destination-port smtp -j ACCEPT
iptables -A -i eth0 -p tcp -d localhost --destination-port pop3 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A -i eth0 -p udp -d localhost --destination-port pop3 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A -i eth0 -p tcp -d localhost --destination-port ssh -j ACCEPT
iptables -A -i eth0 -p tcp -d localhost --destination-port 1024: -j ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT

when checking mail, I can get through but sending and receiving takes an
extremely long time...

Also (a side note), for some reason I can still subvert the firewall using
sftp (port 115)...  I have no idea why.