From: Lloyd Duhon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 13 May 2002 23:26
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Gzip not compiled for large file size?

I am experiencing a major problem. I had archived data, stored on a server.
The server crashed, and the only copy of the archived data I have is on a
backup file on our hard drive backup server.

The file that this data resides in is 5.6 GB, a .tgz file. when I try to
perform any operation on the file, I get the error "Operation Not
Permitted" or similar. the most expressive error message was from lsattr:

lsattr: Operation not permitted While reading flags on
/Raid/Backup.cp1/cp1/2002_Mar/03.Full.tgz

file returns:

/Raid/Backup.cp1/cp1/2002_Mar/03.Full.tgz: can't stat
`/Raid/Backup.cp1/cp1/2002_Mar/03.Full.tgz' (Value too large for defined
data type).

Tar returns:

[root@backup root]# tar xvfpz /Raid/Backup.cp1/cp1/2002_Mar/03.Full.tgz
/etc/named.conf
tar (child): /Raid/Backup.cp1/cp1/2002_Mar/03.Full.tgz: Cannot open:
Operation not permitted
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: /etc/named.conf: Not found in archive

gzip simply returns:

[root@backup root]# gzip -d /Raid/Backup.cp1/cp1/2002_Mar/03.Full.tgz
gzip: /Raid/Backup.cp1/cp1/2002_Mar/03.Full.tgz: Operation not permitted

I have moved this file to several boxes to try to extract it, and I've
upgraded to the latest of everything, fileutils, kernel, (I just up2dated
everything on the backup server, and another server which we tried to use
to ensure it wasn't a problem with the backup server itself.)

I have tested many other backups from this backup server, and anything
smaller than this archive that I have available extracts with no problems.

LMK if there is any way to get at this data.

TTYS
Lloyd