On 22:51 23 May 2002, Anders Thoresson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|  1) I've scanned newsgroups, this maillist and other resources. But I can't
| find a solution to stop X listen for incoming connections at TCP port 6000.
| How do I do this?

You may not be able to (a quick glance at the XFree86 manual entry
doesn't show an option for this). But you can use ipchains to set up a
rule to prevent people from connection to the service.

Or don't run X11.

|  2) What file integrity checker is the best choice? Simple setup more
| important than many features. I've looked at AIDE, but not succeeded in
| compiling it. I've looked at Tripewire, but the configuration seems very
| complex. Should I sit down with the manual and learn Tripwire, or is for
| instance Samhain a good choice?

Rpm has a check in it (--verify option as I recall).  You can use it to
check the installed components.  It's an ok first cut, but it can probably
be tricked by modifying the rpm database; tripwire gets around this by
keeping the db on a read only medium like a write protected floppy.

|  Also, this is what I've done so far, security-wise:
|  1. During installation, a clean one, set the security at "high" and
| "standard rules" for the firewall.

This will block quite a lot of stuff. Which is good.

|  2. Shut down every service listening for incoming connections. Just X and
| xinetd (listening at som UDP port, this is something I have figured out yet)
| remaining.

You've grepped for that IP in /etc/services?

|  3. Changed default umask to 077.

Fair enough. Some of the less careful install scripts assume a more
generous umask, so bear that in mind if you install something from source
- it may need some tweaking afterwards.

|  Is there anything obvious I have forgotten and should do, beside installing
| a file integrity checker, before I put the computer online the first time
| and runs up2date? The computer is only being used by me and is on a
| SOHO-network with only trusted computers, all protected by a firewall.

Make sure you're using MD5 passwords, and that any account which has a
password has a good long one. And make sure most accounts have no password
(_not_ an empty one).
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

network security:       1. Kill all your users.
                        2. Remove all accounts.
                        3. Detach network and dialups.
                        4. Turn off machine.
- David A. Guidry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>