On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 15:15, rpjday wrote:

>   a number of people i've chatted with lately seemed to think
> there was not much difference between run level 1 and run levels
> s or S.  after i explained it a couple of times, it occurred to
> me to make sure *i* understood it properly.
>
>   as i understand it, run level 1 is similar to the other numeric
> run levels in that all of those run levels are defined in
> /etc/inittab -- regardless of what numeric run level you're
> going to, init consults /etc/inittab to determine what has
> to happen, and this involves running the K and S scripts in
> the appropriate directory.  for run level 1, this consists
> almost exclusively of K scripts (not totally, though -- more
> on that in a minute).
>
>   in addition, if you boot to run level 1 at, say, the grub
> menu, /etc/inittab *must* exist since, obviously, it has to
> be consulted.
>
>   run level S, though, is another matter, in that this takes
> the system directly to a single-user mode *without* consulting
> /etc/inittab -- useful if you've trashed that file.

Hmmm.  Not sure that is true but the init man page does seem to have
some conflicting info.

>From the init man page:

BOOTING
       After  init is invoked as the last step of the kernel boot
       sequence, it looks for the file  /etc/inittab  to  see  if
       there  is  an  entry  of  the  type initdefault (see init­
       tab(5)). The initdefault entry determines the initial run­
       level  of  the  system.   If there is no such entry (or no
       /etc/inittab at all), a runlevel must be  entered  at  the
       system console.

       Runlevel  S  or s bring the system to single user mode and
       do not require an  /etc/initttab  file.   In  single  user
       mode, a root shell is opened on /dev/console.

then later:

BOOTFLAGS
       It  is possible to pass a number of flags to init from the
       boot monitor (eg. LILO). Init accepts the following flags:

       -s, S, single
            Single  user  mode boot. In this mode /etc/inittab is
            examined and the bootup rc scripts  are  usually  run
            before the single user mode shell is started.

       1-5  Runlevel to boot into.

Is the issue whether s is entered at boot or via telinit? Not sure but
like Mr Wagner, I have always assumed 1 and s were the same but clearly
they are not.

Keep us informed of any progress you make on figuring this out.

Bret